Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Our Time With Joey Diaz (Interview)


I told you we were going to start things off with a bang, didn't I? Joey Diaz is nothing short of an icon in stand up comedy. While he has dabbled in movies, television, and various commercial spots, his true home is on the stage. If you're familiar with his work, then you knew when you clicked on this story that there was no way I could possibly sum up the complex being that is Joey Diaz in one single blog post. If you're not familiar, then consider this a simple introduction into the life of one of the most interesting people in the entertainment industry, and arguably the world.

When you think of the best natural comedians in the world, who comes to mind? Is Bill Burr the king? Or perhaps Adam Carolla takes the title? Well, allow me to officially enter a new candidate into the race. In comedy, there are people who study and rehearse and perfect each and every joke before taking it to an audience. Then, there are people who simply live it. People who walk through life with an aura around them, bringing comedy to every possible situation, not because they choose to, but because it's as much a part of them as the air they breathe. While both approaches have a certain potential for greatness, there is a clear and distinctive element of something special in the latter. Nearly all of us can communicate, but only a select few can captivate. Joey Diaz is one of those special people.

I started my comedy fandom by looking for people that made me laugh. Simple. But as my love for the craft grew, I started to gravitate towards the comics that had that extra element. The Joe Rogan and Louis CK types who could change your entire way of viewing the world around you, just as easily as they could give you a case of the giggles with some juvenile poop joke. I think I speak for a lot of Diaz fans when I say that his material and sense of humor is only a small portion of why we love him. The real reason is his unrelenting honesty and his ability to dive into deep, introspective philosophies without coming off as preachy or condescending. The real reason is the fact that Joey has already been through more problems than nearly all of us ever will, and has used his experience to bounce back, thrive, and allow us to learn from his mistakes. The real reason is because you aren't seeing a facade or an artificial persona, but rather the true ins and outs of one of the most fascinating people in the world. I am happy, although not surprised, to say that our interview with Mr. Joey Diaz did not end up as some some surface level, textbook P.R. question and answer. After seeing the depth of his responses, I immediately regretted not digging deeper or asking more questions. I guess that's just incentive to try and do this again in the future. Please join us for our first official Real Comedy interview. There isn't a more deserving focal point. Enjoy.




Your good friend Joe Rogan has, on multiple occasions, stated that no comedian can make him laugh like you can. How has your friendship with Rogan affected you both personally and professionally?

My friendship with Rogan started 15 years ago at the Store. I didn't know who he was but after we met we hit it off. He knew I was crazy and he loved it but he also knew where my heart was. one thing that always stood out to me and became contagious was his love for standup. While he was working on Newsradio they would shoot on Fridays. Believe me 9 out of 10 guys would have quit after getting a show this guy showed up to do a FREE set after a 12 hour day on a set, that commitment was what he really showed me. He is a modern day comedy pioneer in a sense introducing obscure comics to the world. He gave me the light that I needed as a mentor.


You have the unique ability to switch from humor to sincerity at the drop of a hat. In my opinion, this skill makes you one of the most fascinating people in the world to listen to. Whether it be in your stand up or on a podcast, you captivate audiences. Is this a talent that you were born with, or did it take years of practice to develop your unique comedic voice?

The funny comes from my heart but I think the captivation is from the pain that I carry on my sleeve as a reminder, it fuels the fire believe it or not.


You have always been very honest about your struggles with drug addiction and crime in the past. How, if at all, has comedy helped you through the low points in your life? What made you decide to be so open about sharing your experiences with your fans.

I've been around for years, movies, films, and television, nobody cared. I told a story about mugging a hooker and the rest was history. For me, the honesty thing works, speaking openly about my addictions and how I beat some of them helped me on a personal level to look at myself from a different angle. Because of talking about it I feel great.


Would you please share with my readers, who may not necessarily be familiar with your work, your opinion about ranch dressing?

I fucking hate Ranch dressing, the smell, the texture, the people who dip beautiful wings in it should be shot once while alive then once when they're dead.


Anyone who knows what they're talking about when it comes to comedy regards you as one of the true stand up legends. What advice would you give to a young, aspiring comic, who has dreams of one day reaching the same prestige?

Prestige? I would tell them different things at different levels of their career, the main thing is belief. Belief in yourself and that if you keep working hard to believe that something good will happen. I think that's the greatest strength I had was my belief that I was funny, without knowing I found a voice that came from the belief.


If you had to suggest one comic who people may not know about, but definitely should, who would you recommend?

Jery Rocha, and Agostino Zioda are two young guys that are my favorites, along with Tony Hinchcliff and Sarah Tiana.


For more information on Joey Diaz, check out his official website or follow him on twitter @MadFlavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment